Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Jacobo's Story-Feb 2023

Greetings from Mexico,
As 2022 came to an end, it was easy to reflect and see how faithful God had been last year and years gone by. Sometimes it feels like our influence here in Mexico is futile, but we continue to walk forward, trusting God’s Word to bring spiritual work into the lives of those who struggle around us with hurts, habits and hang-ups as we continue to offer Celebrate Recovery.
In December we hosted our annual Celebrate Recovery Christmas gathering at Calvary Rosarito. Sixteen “first time” Celebrate Recovery participants received certificates of recognition, congratulating them on their faithful attendance and hard work on the Road to Recovery. We worshipped together as we celebrated the birth of our Savior, shared a delicious traditional Christmas meal, and heard a powerful testimony from Jacobo.
Jacob receiving his CR certificate of recognition
Jacobo’s Story:
My parents separated when I was very young. My sister, a mere child herself, cared for myself and my three younger siblings while my mom went to work to supply for our needs. After a time, we were reported to the Mexican authorities. Myself and my four siblings were placed in an orphanage.
I was only 7 years old when we were placed in that orphanage. I blamed my mom for our circumstance. I was always getting in trouble and was continually being punished, sometimes more severely than others. I remember being given the punishment of cleaning the dormitory for a whole year while the other children went out to play. That was painful.
It was through this Christian run orphanage that I accepted Jesus into my heart and was later baptized. I left the orphanage at 12 years old with a mountain of blame and resentment stored up inside of me. I stopped going to church and started walking in the ways of the world.
I was celebrating my birthday with some of my friends one day, when one friend started talking to me about Jesus. I knew this Jesus that my friend spoke of. It was then that I came to my senses and realized I had chosen the wrong path. I then made the choice to start attending church again.
I arrived at Calvary Rosarito and was invited to attend Celebrate Recovery. I knew I needed help, as I was carrying around lots of baggage. At Celebrate Recovery I found a place where I could share openly and not be judged. I asked God to help me forgive those who harmed me and eventually was able to forgive myself.
God has done a great work in me through the Celebrate Recovery program. This scripture speaks deeply to me as I continue my healing process. “I am certain that God, who began the great work in me will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day Jesus Christ returns.” Philippians 1 :6 Thanks for letting me share.
It is though stories like Jacobo’s we can see firsthand how God is using the Celebrate Recovery program to bring healing into the lives of his people in ways we never dreamed or imagined possible. We continue to pray, trust and move forward knowing that our Heavenly Father knows how to reach out to those who are struggling and lead them to Himself.
Francisco helping prepare for "Our Girls" on the inside
My Prison Ministry team and I brought in toiletry and candy bags, chocolate bars and blankets to the Ensenada Prison. Thank you for your generosity so we could bring a bit of Christmas warmth and joy to "Our Girls" on the inside.
In January we relaunched Celebrate Recovery Step Studies in Calvary Rosarito and had 60 people join us on the Road to Recovery. We look forward to hearing many more stories similar to Jacobo’s in the future. Thank you for continuing to partner with us on this amazing adventure. Together we are seeing people’s lives changed as they draw closer to Jesus.
Blessings, Cheryl & Francisco

No comments: